Friday 2 March 2012

Triangle + Triangle = ? (Post 68)

Since my last Post I have been getting to know Peyote stitch a bit more and feel I'm making good progress. Its one of the most popular bead weaving stitches as its so versatile and strong.  (Not so good if you need to rip it back at any stage though!).


Components
Components is a word I come across regularly on OTTBS and until now it hasn't really meant much to me.  When I hear 'component's, I think about car parts ... but the other morning I woke up literally with a clearer understanding of this 'jargon' in relation to Jewellery Making.  It really was one of those 'eureka' moments.


It was so obvious, I actually felt I must be quite 'dull' not to have understood it before.  Basically, when people say they are 'just working on some components' it means that they are perhaps making up a beaded part which will link in, in whatever way, to a bracelet or necklace etc.  It can take longer to work on a 'part item' than it can the rest of the piece of jewellery ... which is one of the reasons why people 'set it aside' to work on in-between other projects.


This 'new' understanding came about because of the latest pair of earrings I made.


Triangular Treat
Triangular Treat
'Based on a  Diane Fitzgerald Design'
The technique used for these earrings are flat peyote and herringbone stitch. These are a 2d (two-dimensional) design which are joined together by what is know as the 'zip' method.  Its really a very satisfying technique. A bit like doing up a zip ... ha ha - hence the name perhaps!


I began to think what else I could use these for, linked together for a bracelet/necklace, a pendant.  Once you learn the technique you can adapt it to so many other projects.


Tumbling Blocks
'A Sue Maguire Design'
That evening set the course of a different way of thinking, which probably related to my sudden understanding of 'components.


Tumbling Blocks
The peyote project I've been working on is a beautiful beaded cuff which Sue Maguire designed based on her daughter's quilt and adapting the triangle shape that she had learnt from Julia Pretl's book, 'Little Beading Boxes'.  


Tumbling Blocks
'A Sue Maguire Design'
This is the biggest peyote project I've tackled, and when I started it I had no clue as to whether I had the 'know-how', (which is different than the instructions), to produce it.  I like to step outside of comfort zones though and dived straight in.


No wonder I woke up designing components from triangles!  Quite a few involved in this design.


Here we have it friends, Triangles + Triangles = Earrings and a Bracelet.


Welcome
A huge welcome to 'Cat' and 'Anna'


Cat from the United States, (Cat correct me if I'm wrong ... couldn't quite work out where), creates beaded handwoven jewellery and other artworks.  Quite a beadaholique, beading whenever she can.  Cat also runs an online store on Facebook, DCI JewelryDesigns, so why not take a look.


Anna from Belguim, also creates jewellery, mainly bead woven and has a good eye for colour with some beautiful combinations.  Take a look at her blog.  Anna's recently set up a Facebook Page and Etsy shop - so keep an eye out I'm sure you'll soon see some beautiful items for sale.


The OTTBS Challenge for March has started - some great goodies for the lucky winner!  I like the colours for this month Purple/Grey with a crystal twist to it.  I do have a few ideas in mind - but not the beads, (yet LOL).


I think you'll agree I've 'got the hang of peyote' now so I'm now going to be looking at different type of 'tubular' stitches for this month.  My next Post will review my thoughts on February.  


'Keep Watching, and I'll Keep Blogging'
Charters



4 comments:

  1. wow these are fantastic. red and black, my favourite colours. the bracelet, perfect xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sherryn, they were fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ironwind ... nice of you to pop across.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog, I appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next visit.

Charters