Wednesday 21 July 2010

Dragon's Dream and more ... (Post 2)

Hi again,

Well, after yesterday's creation my mind went into overload!  Like sitting an exam; I ran through all the things I could have said, perhaps should have said and finally told myself  'never mind, there's always tomorrow'.  With that thought I did get to sleep!

Firstly, the silver/red set is called Dragon's Dream and today I have published some more photos in the hope that you will see the detail of the dragon.

Precious Metal Clay (PMC) silver is amazing stuff, it is as the name suggests in a clay form and consists only of water, microscopic particles of silver and a binder.  To work with it's like rolling pastry - a lot more expensive, mind!  Once the desired shape is rolled to the required thickness, you can texturise it or carve your own design.  Its left to dry and is then carefully filed to even out any flaws.  It then needs to be heated to a high temperature, and maintained at that temperature (a procedure known as 'firing').  You can do this in a kiln or for small jewellery items you can use a blow torch.  Before you do this though, I'd recommend that you go on a training course, where you'll be taught all the safety aspects as well as the techniques.  So, this clay once fired burns away the binder and fuses the silver together.  To look at, it will now be white in colour.  You can now use various tools/files/polishers to make it nice and shiny.

All that's left for you to do is to decide how you want to work it into a beautiful piece of jewellery.

Making jewellery is a great way to release your creativity, as I can guarantee if a group of people were given a set of beads and findings, (findings are all the little extras you need, jump rings, ear wires etc), that each person would make totally different items.  Why?  Because, we all interpret things differently and (as it should be) we all have different ways of working.

Crossroads ...
I'm at a crossroads at the minute, (in more ways than one), and I'm making all sorts of jewellery and have enough creativity to last me a lifetime - just not the hours I need.  I want to work more in PMC but also love wirework and silversmithing.  My aim really is to make jewellery that is attainable to all and not mass produced.  My priority is to create uniqueness.  Now by that I mean, jewellery that you will be able to buy without fear of bumping into somebody with the same accessories.  How many times have you done that - particularly with clothes at an important event!  I know I have.

Some techniques you may come have come across but will be interpreted differently, be it by using unique beads or incorporating with silver/polymer clay/lampwork beads.  Just too many wonderful mediums to mention.  This brings me nicely back to these 'cross roads'.  I want more 'uniqueness' and to obtain that means me branching out into producing my own style.  PMC, lampworking, polymer clay and silversmithing all lend themselves to individuality and my footsteps are treading their way towards this.

I suppose I'm saying, keep following my blog and you will see the variety of techniques and the fuller style of my jewellery whilst, I'm sure also end up sharing my passion.

Heart Jingle
I name all my pieces, and 'yes' - I do get attached to them but I also sell my jewellery, taking satisfaction in knowing that others enjoy wearing my jewellery. Besides, I keep the photos!

Heart Jingle is made from lampwork beads, rocaille beads, silver plated links and my very own beaded links to blend it all magically together.

It doesn't need a clasp as it is designed to be a long necklace that just slips over and jingles nicely in place.

It would look lovely with jeans or equally with a smart outfit.

Bohemian Charm
This, to me, conjures up lazy hazy days of summer, Its a nice casual set of jewellery and each donut bead has flecks of other colours in them which 'draw' them together just nicely.

You could also use cord to link them.  I used a plum-coloured wire because I was looking for a natural blend.  Had I used silver it might have taken away the emphasis of the beautiful beads.  Inbetween I have used 'goldstone' nugget gems, which sparkle.

Ok, Day 2 and there's no stopping me ... suddenly, get me on my favourite topic and I'm away.  Until tomorrow ... Charters signing off!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I love your jewellery - let me know when you have set up your Etsy shop :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog, I appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next visit.

Charters